Sunday, February 5, 2017

Jenny's Story to Get Hepatitis C Treatment for Her Husband Frank

My husband has a fibroscan of 2 the doctors tell him he's not eligible for treatment until his liver is in worst condition.  Primarily because the treatment is so costly and is reserved only for fatally ill patients.  This is not good news for our family. 

So, what did I do?  I wrote to our state representatives and our senators to ask for help in regarding treatment.  Their offices responded swiftly with prescription assistance programs that can possibly help my husband get the necessary treatment.  I want to mention before contacting our elected leaders in the state and senate, I reached out to our insurance company.  We have Blue Cross Blue Shield and they've been good to us for over 25 years and now they've disappointed us by letting us down on the most important of health issues. 

I don't understand since hepatitis C is such a communicable disease and is a major health concern for our nation why they're not subsidizing the costs of treatment.  I understand its about the bottom line for the pharmaceutical companies and they have earned it.  For the average middle income family, the treatment should be subsidized further to even $10,000 rather than $95,000. 

Obamacare didn't help us in this situation.  I really hope President Trump will come through on some of his campaign promises and help in the fight to reduce the cost of treatment. 

In the mean time, my doctor referred me to a non profit, Soul of Healing, http://www.soulofhealing.org to see if they can help my husband get access to treatment. 

For all you folks with hepatitis C and your loved ones, you can get through this.  Have faith.

http://www.sunnypharma.info

No comments:

Post a Comment